Uripan . (Syrup)
Each 100mg syrup contains: Oxybutynin (as Chloride) 100 mg.
Uripan (Oxybutynin) has pharmacological properties similar to some anticholinergic, antispasmodic, local anesthetic and antihistaminic compounds. It exerts antimuscarinic ( atropine-like) and antispasmodic (papaverine-like) actions on smooth muscles. Its antimuscarinic effect is significantly less than that of atropine but its antispasmodic activity is considerably greater than atropine, producing an effect on the detrusor muscle 4-10 times than atropine. Unlike papaverine it does not appear to affect the smooth muscles of the blood vessels. It is believed that Uripan suppresses the urge to void by increasing the bladder capacity secondary to relaxation of the bladder smooth muscles and a corresponding reduction in the number of contractions of the detrusor muscle.
Uripan is indicated for the relief of symptoms of bladder instability associated with voiding in patients with neurogenic bladder i.e.: urgency, frequency, leakage, incontinence and dysuria.
- Adults: 1 teaspoonful 2-3 times per day, it is recommended not to exceed 4 doses per day.
- Children above 5 years of age:- 1 teaspoonful twice daily, it is recommended not to exceed 3 doses per day.
It is contraindicated for patients with intestinal obstruction, toxic megacolon, severe ulcerative colitis, closed angle glaucoma, myasthenia gravis and urinary obstruction.
- It should be administered cautiously to patients with coronary artery diseases, congestive heart failure, cardiac arrhythmias, hypertension, autonomic neuropathy, hepatic and renal diseases.
- It should also be used cautiously with drugs with antimuscarinic properties: CNS depressants, parasympatholytics; ketoconazole and opiate agonists.
- Its use during pregnancy and breast-feeding has not been established.
- Most side effects encountered with Oxybutynin administration are due to its anticholinergic and antispasmodic activity.
- These effects include dizziness, flushing, confusion, clumsiness and palpitations.
- Drowsiness, respiratory depression or troubles in breathing can be observed.
- Transient blurred vision, urticaria, constipation, xerostomia and anhydrosis are also rarely reported side effects.
Bottle of 120 ml syrup.